When attempting to add contacts to your Lync contact list you receive the following error:
There are a number of different causes for this error, but the most common solution is to delete the SIP profile for the Lync user. To delete the SIP profile for a user on a Windows workstation, follow the guidance below:
Deleting the SIP Profile
- Close Lync completely by right-clicking the Lync icon in the Windows System Tray and selecting Exit.
- Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder that corresponds to the Lync client version that is installed
- Lync 2010: %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Communicator
- Lync 2013: %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Lync
- Delete the sip_username directory that matches the sip address of the user experiencing the issues. This directory will be rebuilt when the Lync client is restarted the next time.
- Restart the computer
- Restart the Lync client
The SIP profile folder and cached information will be rebuilt and the issues above should be resolved.