As a part of normal ongoing maintenance for the Chinook Communications hosted email system and to improve system performance and stability, Chinook Communications will from time to time be required to move individual users mailboxes to new mailbox databases on the platform. During the move, mailboxes may be unavailable for approximately 10 minutes while the move completes.
Mail delivery to the mailbox will be unaffected, however clients (Outlook, Outlook Web App & ActiveSync Mobile Devices) may experience an inability to connect to the mailbox to send and/or receive email for a very short period of time at the conclusion of the mailbox move. The mailbox will be fully accessible to clients and fully functional while the move is taking place, but will be unable to connect for approximately 5 to 10 minutes while the move completes.
During the completion of the move, you may experience one or more of the following error messages while attempting to access the mailbox:
- Outlook 2007 - "The administrator has made a change that requires you to quit and restart Outlook"
- Outlook 2010 - No specific error is typically displayed, however the client will not be able to synchronize mail while the move is completing.
- Outlook 2011 - "Mailbox move in progress. Try again later"
- Outlook Web App - "You weren't able to sign in because the mailbox is being moved. You won't be able to access it until the move is complete. Please wait and try again later".
- ActiveSync Mobile Devices - "Cannot get mail. The connection to the server failed"
We will be performing these moves outside of normal business hours to minimize the impact and do not expect to move any single mailbox frequently. No client updates are required and as soon as the move has completed all services should begin working again as normal.